Most Malaysians love to eat chili prawns dish. Seriously, i never heard of anyone who hates chili prawns. But then, there are also many people who are allergic to hot and spicy chili meals, especially if the chilies are cooked too hot.
Even myself is allergic to certain ingredients in a chili dish for example, i can’t consume too much of coconut milk, belacan (shrimp paste) or even petai (stink bean). So, in this recipe, i’m only using simple ingredients.
Here, i’m cooking my own version of the chili prawns meal by adding some herbs such as ginger and lemongrass. I also prepared the dried chilies myself.
CHILI PRAWNS MEAL WITH DRIED CHILIES
(for 3-4 people)
- 300g of shrimps. Just clean the shrimps properly and no need to peel off the shells.
- 1 big onion. Slice.
- cooking oil
- sugar, salt and a few drops of lime juice
- 60-70g of dried chilies. Let me show you how to process the dried chilies:
There are TWO ways to TO GET RID OF THE DRIED CHILIES SEEDS AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.
Using a kitchen scissor, cut the dried chilies into smaller pieces. Then, rinse and soak them for 10-15 minutes until a lot of seeds come out. Rinse again until clean.
- If you do this method, you need to make sure that the dried chilies are cooked properly later before adding in the shrimps.
You can soak the cut dried chilies in boiling water to soften them and also to get rid of the seeds.
- If you do this method, you don’t have to sauté the blended ingredients for too long since the dried chilies are already ‘cooked’.
In this recipe, i used the first method.
OTHER SIMPLE INGREDIENTS FOR COOKING CHILI PRAWNS DISH
You just need to blend all of these ingredients together with the already prepared dried chilies.
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 small red onions (cut smaller)
- 1/2 inch ginger (cut smaller)
- 1 stalk of lemongrass (cut into smaller pieces)
- I-2 tablespoon of cooking oil
- 1-2 tablespoon of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- some water
HOW TO GET A BEAUTIFUL COLOUR FOR THE CHILI PRAWNS GRAVY
This is the tips which i have been following from real chefs. It really works!
To get a nice texture and beautiful colour for the chili gravy, make sure you add these items with other ingredients (as above) during blending:
1-2 tablespoon of cooking oil
1-2 tablespoon of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt.
HOW TO COOK CHILI PRAWNS USING DRIED CHILIES
- Heat up a deep frying pan/wok
- Pour in about 5-6 tablespoons of cooking oil
- Wait for a few minutes until the oil is warm
- SLOWLY pour in all the blended ingredients
- Sauté the blended ingredients until properly cook
- Always stir the chili gravy to avoid lumpiness
- Then, add in the sliced big onion
- At this point, if you feel the gravy is too thick, pour in just a little bit of water
- Then, add in sugar, salt and a little bit of lime juice
- Lastly, add in the shrimps
- Stir everything slowly.
Make sure the gravy is well cooked and you are satisfied with the gravy’s taste before adding in the shrimps.
I prefer to add in the shrimps at the end of the cooking process to avoid the shrimps from shrinking.
If you notice, i used the same type of blender to make my smoothies. Actually, i have two identical blenders. I can’t remember why i bought the two same type of blender. I keep them separately.
However, i do need to give a quick smell before using one of them. So make sure you buy two different types/color of blenders for your kitchen!
♥ ♥ ♥